"This book will be a very useful reference for criminal law practitioners and those not familiar with criminal law procedure, and all stakeholders engaged in criminal matters in the Circuit Court."
- Patricia Ryan, President of the Circuit Court
Criminal Procedure in the Circuit Court provides the practitioner with a comprehensive and definitive analysis of criminal practice and procedure in this court. It is an extensive commentary of the Circuit Court Rules, referring to reported and unreported decisions of the courts, legislation and practice directions.
This text provides a complete overview of criminal procedure at Circuit Court level. It covers every aspect of the criminal process from start to finish, including pretrial matters, trial procedure, sentencing and appeals, and does so with a level of procedural detail that will prove invaluable to practitioners in this jurisdiction.
Significant care has been taken by the author to ensure that Irish authorities are used wherever possible, so as to ensure the book's practical and widespread application.
- Foreword by the President of the Circuit Court.
- Comprises an easy-to-understand reference that provides you with invaluable analysis and interpretation.
- Fully up to date and including all important case law and legislation, including the Criminal Procedure Act 2021, which commenced in February 2022.
- A step-by-step guide to criminal practice in the Circuit Court.
- An extensive analysis of the jurisdiction of the Circuit Court.
- Deals with indictments, juries, disclosure, pretrial procedure, the burden of proof, trial procedure, speeches and the judge's charge, witnesses, the examination of witnesses, contempt of court, sentencing and appeals.
- Allows a busy practitioner to act with confidence in court, operating with the exact practice and procedure they require to hand.
- Helps the user to avoid costly and time-consuming errors.
Table of Contents
1. Circuit Court Jurisdiction
2. The Indictment
3. Disclosure and Associated Matters
4. The Jury
5. Pretrial Procedure
6. Trial Procedure
7. Speeches and the Judge's Charge
8. Examination of Witnesses
10. Burden and Standard of Proof
11. Contempt of Court
About the Author
Matthew Holmes is a practising criminal barrister and author of a number of textbooks.
Order your copy today
To order this book, please contact us and select and print and proview ebook services or call us on 0345 600 9355.
If you're interested in firmwide or multiple user access to this book on ProView then please contact us directly to discuss what options are available.