Carver on Charterparties, in conjunction with Carver on Bills of Lading, covers the ground of the classic 1982 treatise Carver’s Carriage by Sea. Carver on Charterparties, 2nd edition, builds upon the thematic synthesis and analysis in this fundamental area of shipping law. Its discursive and encyclopaedic approach offers an alternative to that provided in Scrutton on Charterparties and Bills of Lading.
The second edition covers a number of major cases since the first edition, including:
- Explains charterparties, their nature and characteristics
- Covers the parties, formation and interpretation of the charterparty as a contract
- Describes how charterparties apply to the vessel, the cargo and the voyage
- Discusses cargo claims
- Examines demise, time and voyage charterparties
- Addresses laytime and demurrage
- Analyses discharge by frustration and breach
- Covers damages and other remedies
- Gard Marine & Energy Ltd v China National Chartering Co Ltd (The Ocean Victory)  UKSC 35;  1 W.L.R. 1793 (safe port undertakings; demise charterparties and co-insurance; limitation)
- Volcafe Ltd v Cia Sud Americana de Vapores SA  UKSC 61;  A.C. 358 (caring for cargo; burden of proof; inherent vice)
- Classic Maritime Inc v Limbungan Makmur Sdn Bhd  EWHC 2389 (Comm);  1 Lloyd’s Rep. 349;  EWCA Civ 1102;  1 Lloyd’s Rep. 178 (provision of cargo and exception clauses)
- Silverburn Shipping (IOM) Ltd v Ark Shipping Co LLC (The Arctic)  EWCA Civ 1161;  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 603 (obligation to maintain class)
- Eleni Shipping Ltd v Transgrain Shipping BV (Comm) (The Eleni P)  EWHC 910 (Comm);  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 265 (piracy)
- Alize 1954 v Allianz Elementar Versicherungs AG (The CMA CGM Libra)  EWHC 481 (Admlty);  1 Lloyd’s Rep. 595;  EWCA Civ 293 (unseaworthiness; defective passage plan)
Also available as an eBook on Thomson Reuters ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is the iPad app custom built for legal professionals like you.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like. Find out more about ProView.
Purchase this title as an eBook to start reading today: