Kerly's Law of Trade Marks and Trade Names
has provided expert guidance on all aspects of UK trade mark law since 1894. Through a mix of insightful commentary and up-to-date analysis of case law and legislation from the UK and Europe, it is the reference for the provision of clear and authoritative advice.
The 16th edition sees a major update with the inclusion of three new chapters on topics including the average consumer, Brexit, and the defining characteristics of trade marks. It also analyses the highly significant European trade mark reforms – the greatest change to trade mark law for 20 years.
- Provides the most comprehensive and authoritative guidance on the law of trade marks and trade names in the United Kingdom
- Explains core topics of trade mark law: classification, registration (UK and European), enforcement, infringement, and litigation
- Detailed analysis of community trade marks, their provisions, extent of protection, and procedural matters
- Covers issues of assignment, licensing, merchandising, and franchising
- Lays out the absolute and relative grounds for the refusal of registration
- Addresses trade mark infringement and outlines a range of defences including limitations on, exclusions from, and statutory.
Some of the key new features of the 16th edition include:
- Explains the changes introduced by the European Trade Mark Reform, analysing the key legislation affecting community trade marks and the owners of national trade marks in the EU.
- A new chapter dedicated to the average consumer identifying relevant characteristics, factors that influence the level of attention, and discussion of where it is (and is not) deployed.
- A new chapter explaining the likely impact of Brexit on registered trade marks which have force in the UK and the effect on owners of EU registered trade marks used primarily in the UK.
- A new chapter addressing the meaning of the expression “trade mark,” outlining its essential functions and characteristics.
Also available as an eBook on Thomson Reuters ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is the iPad app custom built for legal professionals like you.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like. Find out more about ProView.
Purchase this title as an eBook to start reading today: