Civil Appeals is an authoritative and detailed guide to the practice and procedure for bringing civil appeals at all levels of the appellate courts, and examines the principles applied by appellate courts when considering appeals. It also addresses arbitration appeals, examining appeals on points of law, serious irregularity and challenges to substantive jurisdiction.
This second edition deals with the new Practice Directions to CPR Part 52 (Appeals), which have introduced a large number of procedural changes, in particular relating to applications for permission to appeal. It also deals with recent changes to the rules in CPR Part 52. The book has also been updated to reflect changes in the rules applying to appeals against arbitral awards, and refers to important new decisions on appellate procedure and principles which all civil practitioners need to be aware of.
In his Foreword, Lord Dyson MR describes the book as “an essential work for both lawyers and judges” and “the leading work in the field”.
- Explains the practice and procedure involved in bringing civil appeals
- Assists in questioning whether a decision is wrong and if any serious irregularity has occurred
- Examines how new evidence may be admitted to an appeal
- Identifies the correct court to take an appeal to
- Considers the statutory requirement for permission to appeal and the applications process
- Provides a thorough guide to each step necessary in preparing for the appeal
- Advises on the case management process of the appeal
- Explains the various points of practice unique to each court
- Separate coverage is given to appeals to the Supreme Court and to the Privy Council
- Explains Part 52-Appeals of the CPR, guiding the reader through the associated practice directions dealing with the appeals process
- Includes a separate section on arbitration appeals examining appealing on points of law, serious irregularity and challenging the substantive jurisdiction
- Includes procedural checklists
- Cross-referenced to the White Book
New to this edition:
- Updates the text to deal with the new practice directions to Part 52, which make detailed amendments to the procedure applying to appeals, in particular to applications for permission to appeal and the provision of skeleton arguments
- Consideration of the impact of the Jackson Reforms on civil appeals, including the extra amendments to the rules relating to Part 52
- Updates the text to deal with changes in rules applying to challenges to arbitral awards
- Refers to new decisions on appellate procedure and principles and to decisions on challenges to arbitral awards
Also available as an eBook on Thomson Reuters ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is custom built for legal professionals like you.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like. Find out more about ProView.
Purchase this title as an eBook to start reading today:
If you’re interested in firmwide or multiple user access to this title on Proview then please contact us directly to discuss what options are available.