First published in 1886, Scrutton has provided a first port of call for research when drafting contracts or dealing with disputes for generations. The book is the leading analysis of general principles in the fields of time charters, voyage charters and demise charters. It covers charterparties role as a key form of commercial contract, from the initial construction of the contract, through the rights and liabilities it confers, terms, agency and performance.
Included in the 25th edition are the following updates:
- New section added to Chapter 1 covering the Electronic Trade Documents Act 2023
- Updated coverage of recent Supreme Court decisions concerning:
- The law of economic duress in Times Travel UK Limited v Pakistan International Airlines Corp  UKSC 40
- The statement of the law of illegality as it relates to contracts in Stoffel & Co v Grondona  UKSC 42
Also included is coverage of all key cases, including the Court of Appeal decisions in:
- the limits of contractual obligations to overcome the effects of force majeure in MUR Shipping BV v RTI Limited  EWCA Civ 1406);
- the different types of contractual “subjects” and their effects (DHL Product and Chartering Ltd v Gemini Ocean Shipping Co Ltd  EWCA Civ 1555); and
- the law relating to implied representations and affirmation (SK Shipping Europe Ltd v Capital VLCC 3 Corp  EWCA Civ 231)
If you’re interested in firmwide or multiple user access to this title on ProView then please contact us directly to discuss what options are available.