The Law of Personal Property provides a treatment of personal property and covers both tangible and intangible property, including things in action, intellectual property rights and shares and securities. It also examines all modes of dealing with or transferring interests in intangible property.
The 2nd edition:
- Deals with the nature of money and the transfer of money
- Features a restructure of chapters that differs from the 1st edition
- the first authoritative guide to this area of common law since Crossley-Vaines
- In-depth treatment of both tangible and intangible personal property, including things in action, intellectual property rights and shares and securities;
- Adopts a consistent analytical approach differentiating (i) the interests in things recognised by English law, (ii) the various modes of acquiring such interests, and (iii) the various modes and procedures for vindicating or enforcing those interests;
- Analyses and explicates key cases from a variety of jurisdictions
- Covers all modes of dealing with or transferring interests in intangible property;
- Covers commercial topics such as retention of title clauses and Quistclose trusts by locating them within the wider common law and equitable principles;
- Extends to the private international law (conflicts), insolvency and procedural issues which arise in respect of personalty.
This first supplement to the 2nd edition of The Law of Personal Property brings the main work up to date with the latest developments. A selection of the key new case law and legislation covered in this supplement includes:
- Common law: B2C2 Ltd v Quoine Pte Ltd  SGHC(I) 03
- Taxonomy of personal property: Gwinnutt v George  EWCA Civ 596; R. (Business Energy Solutions) v Preston Crown Court  EWHC 1534 (Admin); Computer Associates UK Ltd v Software Incubator Ltd  EWCA Civ 528,
- Supreme Court restatements: Volcafe Ltd v Cia Sud Americana de Vapores SA  UKSC 61; Ivey v Genting Casinos (UK) Ltd (t/a Crockfords Club)  UKSC 67
- Property aspects of sale of goods: Wood v TUI Travel plc (trading as First Choice)  EWCA Civ 11
- Assignment of choses in action: Taurus Petroleum Ltd v State Oil Marketing Co of the Ministry of Oil, Republic of Iraq  UKSC 64; Budana v Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 1980; National Bank of Abu Dhabi PJSC v BP Oil International Ltd  EWCA Civ 14; BV Nederlandse Industrie Van Eiprodukten v Rembrandt Enterprises  EWCA Civ 596
- Legal protection of property rights: Wolff v Trinity Logistics USA Inc  EWCA 2165; Ancient Order of Forresters in Victoria Friendly Society Ltd v Lifeplan Australia Friendly Society Ltd  HCA 43
- Conflict of laws: Akers v Samba Financial Group  UKSC 17; Taurus Petroleum Ltd v State Oil Co of the Iraqi Ministry of Oil  UKSC 64
- New law: Coverage of Business Contract Terms (Assignment of Receivables) Regulations 2018 as it affects this area of law.