From Student to Solicitor is the definitive guide to becoming a solicitor in England and Wales. Written in a clear and engaging style, this book takes you through the academic, vocational and practical stages of the process, with tips and advice throughout. The author draws on her own experiences and on interviews with solicitors, recruitment managers, law lecturers, careers advisors, students, and trainee solicitors, to provide a real insight into the realities of a career as a solicitor, together with up-to-date and targeted recruitment advice, and practical guidance on the recruitment process.
New to this edition:
- Coverage of SRA Training Regulations 2014 and SRA Training for
- Tomorrow reform programme
- Development of legal apprenticeship schemes
- New chapter on brand development and social media
- Extended guidance on commercial awareness
- New case studies from solicitors in practice
Features extensive practical advice on how to sell your experiences to recruiters and how to develop effective responses to questions on application forms and during interviews.
PART 1: YOUR PATH TO PRACTICE: WHERE MIGHT THE JOURNEY TAKE YOU?
PART 2: STUDENT YEARS: THE ACADEMIC AND VOCATIONAL STAGES OF QUALIFICATION
PART 3: THE TRAINING CONTRACT - Section 1: Preparation and Research; Section 2: The Application Process; Section 3: The Training Contract and Beyond
Appendix 1: Money Matters
Appendix 2: Further Reading and Other Resources
“Clearly explains the path from student to solicitor. I am considering pursuing a career in law and this book spelled out exactly what would be ahead of me.” Customer Review
Charlotte Harrison is the Principal Lecturer in Law at the University of Portsmouth.
Transform the way you work, with eBooks on ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is the cross-platform app custom built for legal professionals, students and researchers.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like.
- Search the entire text by keyword
- Jump to related content via hyperlinks
- Add your own notes, bookmark key pages and highlight important passages
- Email, print and share the text
- You don't need to be online to access your eBooks
- Your entire library and personalised features are backed up
Learn more about Thomson Reuters ProView
View titles available on Thomson Reuters ProView
You may only order one eBook per title online; to order multiples of eBooks, contact our customer services team or your Sweet & Maxwell Account Manager.