Darbyshire on the English Legal System provides students with an engaging, thought-provoking and highly readable introduction to the contemporary legal system of England and Wales. The work explains and critically evaluates the elements of the English Legal System in their practical (real world) and historic context.
- Considers the various functions and powers of individuals and institutions within the English Legal System
- Includes analysis of the latest case law and other key developments, including new research and government policy
- Contains a list of further reading at the end of each chapter and free online updates, so that students can undertake further study
New for the thirteenth edition:
- The impact of Brexit on UK legal services, lawyers, judges, English law, human rights and the relationship between domestic courts and the Court of Justice of the EU.
- Understanding the importance of EU law post-Brexit.
- The rebranding and restructuring of the Business Courts.
- An examination and critique of The Court and Tribunal Reform Programme, widespread court and tribunal closures, the likely impact of shifting procedures online, current procedural changes, including those caused by Covid-19, and plans for the future.
- The continual changes to criminal procedure as they affect the accused, victims, witnesses and lawyers.
- The ever-changing legal services market and the changes to lawyers’ business structures and ways of working. The importance of understanding law and technology.
- The new and proposed changes to legal training and qualification.
- Progress and lack of progress in diversifying the judiciary.
- The threat to constitutional principles, human rights and the balance of power posed by the effects of Covid-19 legislation and changes to the legislative process.
Also available as an eBook on Thomson Reuters ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is custom built for legal professionals like you.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like. Find out more about ProView.
Purchase this title as an eBook to start reading today:
If you’re interested in firmwide or multiple user access to this title on Proview then please contact us directly to discuss what options are available.