A classic construction law text Keating on Construction Contracts is a first port of call for all research on the history and principles governing building contracts, their practical application and their interpretation by the courts. Renowned for its accessible style, and reliable authority the title covers all relevant legislation and case law, EC law, and the FIDIC, NEC3, JCT Forms of Contracts and ICE Conditions of Contract.
The third supplement covers recent development in case law, including:
- The impact on construction law of the Supreme Court judgment in MWB Business Exchange Centres v Rock Advertising concerning “no oral variations”.
- The Court of Appeal decisions in
- North Midland Building v Cyden Homes (ability to contract out of prevention principle);
- S&T (UK) Limited v Grove Developments (ability to adjudicate true value where payment made on basis of payment notice or pay less notice);
- Bresco Electrical Services Ltd (In Liquidation) v Michael J Lonsdale (Electrical);
- Cannon Corporate Ltd v Primus Build Ltd (impact of insolvency on adjudications and reservation of jurisdictional challenges); and
- Triple Point Technology, Inc. v PTT Public Company (recovery of liquidated damages where contract terminated prior to completion).
- Decisions in the TCC in
- Lessees and Management Company of Herons Court v Heronslea (liability of approved inspector under Defective Premises Act 1972);
- Zagora Management Ltd v Zurich Insurance PLC (liability of building inspector for representations in final certificate);
- M Hart Construction v Ideal Response Group (refusal to enforce adjudication decisions based on oral novation of oral contracts);
- Ocean Outdoor UK Limited v the London Borough of Hammersmith (whether agreement was a services concession under the CCR 2016); and
- Amey Highways Ltd v West Sussex County Council (abandoning public procurements and extending time).
The mainwork published June 2016. The 3rd cumulative supplement brings the work up to date August 2019.