MacGillivray on Insurance Law is the established authority on non-maritime commercial insurance and risk. For over one hundred years it has been a trusted text for providing comprehensive and clear guidance through its examination of the most recent cases and legislative developments. Covering general principles, particular classes of business and the parties involved, it is a must-have title for anyone seeking advice on insurance law.
- Comprehensive guidance on non-maritime commercial insurance and risk through the analysis of cases and legislation.
- Detailed explanations of insurance law and its practical application are provided in three distinct sections:
- The general principles and rules concerning commercial insurance, risk, and loss.
- Different classes of business including life insurance, personal accident policies, property, motor vehicle, and aviation.
- The parties involved with chapters on insurance companies, Lloyd’s policies, and the role of agents.
- Examines the rules on the formation, drafting, and termination of insurance contracts.
- Explains the key principles of good faith, warranties, and the duty of disclosure.
- Advises on the Insurance Act 2015 as it comes into effect, the changes to the law, and the consequences on disputes concerning the new law.
- Defines insurance and insurable interest.
- Looks at issues of fraud, misrepresentation, and non-disclosure by third parties.
- Outlines how insurance policies are constructed while explaining the meaning of words and addressing inconsistencies in phrasing.
- Covers the rules of payment, renewal, and non-payment of premiums.
- Analyses the rights of two or more insurers and third party rights.
- Comparison of English law with Scotland, the USA and the Commonwealth.
This first supplement to the fourteenth edition continues to keep your copy of MacGillivray updated with the very latest insurance case law developments and relevant legislative and regulatory changes:
Cultural Foundation v Beazley Furlonge Ltd  EWHC 1083 (Comm)
Euro Pools Plc v Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Plc  EWCA Civ 808
R&S Pilling (t/a Phoenix Engineering) v UK Insurance Ltd  UKSC 16
Kilduff v Tower Insurance  NZHC 704
RSA Insurance plc v Assicurazioni Generali  Lloyd’s Rep. I.R. 264
Friends Life Ltd v Charles Thomas Miley  EWCA Civ 261
The implementation of the Insurance Distribution Directive
Updates on the impact of Brexit on the regulation of insurers