From harnessing human capital to operating in a global economy and from crisis management to finding new ways of working in an ever-changing world, managing a law firm comes with considerable challenges.
Written by Paul Smith, former Chairman of Eversheds Sutherland, and Sally Dyson, specialist consultant to the legal profession, The Real Deal: Law Firm Leadership that Works is an insightful, pragmatic and practical guide to management theory which is specifically tailored to the unique environment of a law firm.
Drawing on a host of honest appraisals of what has worked and what hasn’t, The Real Deal: Law Firm Leadership that Works shows how the most forward-thinking, nimble firms navigate both the opportunities and the threats that arise, enabling them to make informed, strategic decisions and develop a cohesive, clear vision.
Together, Smith and Dyson offer a plain-speaking bird’s-eye perspective on the unique challenges of the modern legal sector. Focusing on the invaluable lessons learned by senior legal professionals who have transformed the fortunes of their firms, they show how to cement long-term, trusting relationships whilst inspiring and influencing staff, partners and potential clients.
In an increasingly competitive and rapidly evolving global market, the future remains bright for the best law firm leaders. Using numerous case studies and first-hand accounts, The Real Deal: Law Firm Leadership that Works gives the insight and experience needed to become one of those who are leading the way forward.
‘Rooted in rich experience, every page is packed with practical guidance and deep insight,’ explains Professor Richard Susskind OBE, University of Oxford and author of Tomorrow’s Lawyers. ‘This is a work that should be compulsory reading for law firm boards everywhere.’
- Addresses the specific and evolving challenges faced by modern law firm leaders who have to translate general management theory for their own use.
- Identifies the threats and opportunities faced by today’s legal leaders and examines the paths being taken by some of the world’s most successful and forward-thinking firms.
- Examines the practicalities of how a leader gets things done in a law firm, particularly how to influence staff, partners, potential clients and merger partners.
- Rather than prescribing a one-size fits all solution, this book recounts the real experiences of highly respected leaders who describe how they approached business critical human resources, client, finance and strategic issues to shape their firms and includes honest assessments of the mistakes they made along the way and lessons learned.
- Readers will be inspired to develop their own vision of what their firms could achieve and how to get there.